Read more: http://pctoolstips.blogspot.com/2014/01/add-facebook-activity-feed-widgetplugin.html#ixzz3EnWbc1jd

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

‘Daddy will Fix It’

Dear all

It is a well told tale in our family that when I was younger….in fact, much, much younger, that if I broke anything I would take it to my mother and, no what she said or thought about the extent of the damage, I would always say to her with the confidence of one who knew, that ‘daddy will fix it’.  Isn’t it amazing how as small children we can believe with all our heart in the power of our parents and the abilities they possess.





I have heard the anecdote regaled to me by my mother, that when she and my dad were moving all her things from my grandparents’ house to their new home, my dad let slip a box that had a green piggy bank placed at the top of the box.  This particular green piggy bank had great sentimental value to my mum as it had been given to her as a child by her grandparents.  She no longer used it for its purpose, but she kept it because it meant something to her.  Needless to say she was most upset when she saw her green piggy bank lying in pieces on the pathway leading to the house.  My dad, just as upset that he had let the box slip, wanted to do what he could to fix the situation and to make my mother happy…so he spent a few evenings joining the fragments together with glue, until once more the item resembled a patchwork green piggy bank.  Maybe this is the story that made me believe and have so much faith in the ‘fixing’ ability of my dad.




Then I grew older and I came to realize that there are perhaps things and sometimes situations that actually aren’t fixable.

In this last month I went to Charlotte Maxeke hospital to have my ‘old’ and no longer ‘working’ port removed and a new one inserted. The operation was a simple procedure and was meant to take place as one operation….unfortunately it didn’t happen this way at all as the surgeon was obviously having a ‘bad hair day’ and did ‘Part B’ of the procedure, omitting ‘Part A’.  I woke to find that I had 2 ports….. HEHE….The situation was easily fixable though, it just meant that I had to return to hospital the following week to have the ‘still old’ port removed…



Many things in my life have been successfully fixed, from the missing puzzle pieces that were found to the broken heart that found friendship with someone else.  Something that was not so easily fixed was the arm of my First Love Doll that was, most painfully I am sure, completely pulled out of its socket by my neighbour – and still friend –Shaun.  No matter how my parents tried, they just could not get that arm back in.  The only way to ‘fix’ my ‘sadness’, was to buy me a new ‘First Love Doll.  So too with the progression of my CF, the damage that has occurred through the years is not ‘fixable’….however I learn to accept the changes and modify my life accordingly.  These days, although I still believe my dad can fix many things, I know that God, my Father is the one I look to now to ‘fix’ me.
 
 
I am Fabulously fighting CF, Goodnight all :-)
My Gorgeous Mom, COusin and Aunt :-)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for Commenting <3