Read more: http://pctoolstips.blogspot.com/2014/01/add-facebook-activity-feed-widgetplugin.html#ixzz3EnWbc1jd

Thursday, May 9, 2013

SPEED BUMPS

Life is a funny thing…It is never a smooth ride…all the time…
 
Well certainly not for me anyway!!!
 
There have been moments in my short life that the path I am on suddenly veers to the side.  Sometimes things are complicated for a while, while a solution is worked on, but in the end things seem ok again…and then I follow that road until I hit the next speed bump, to slow me down, or speed wobble to make me pick myself up and turn things around.
 
Just a year ago I was working at an accounting firm as a data-capturer.  After having recovered from a really bad lung infection in the December, my boss allowed me to work ‘flexi hours’ and I had cut my day in half, working mornings only.  This lifestyle suited me and gave me the freedom to work and earn a decent enough salary, but still be able to have days off to go to clinic, see doctors and still have weeks off, lounging around in a hospital bed, being waited on hand and foot – I wish - while I had IV treatment.
 
Then as suddenly, my life changed with a major infection taking over.  I resigned from work and became totally dependent on my parents again…sigh.  My doctors suggested I apply for a disability grant, and the time was right for me, as the government had decided all those on social welfare grants should re-apply.
 
It was not a simple mission at all let me tell you, and to spare you all the gory details I will only enlighten you to the latest chapter…or speed bump in this story.  Just over a week ago I received a letter in the post from SASSA (South African Social Services Agency), which informed me that according to their records I only had a temporary access card and therefor needed to re-register for a grant before the end of April.  HaHa, this after all the PT I had already gone through to be registered and have it approved in the first place.  Time was of the essence as it only left me a few days…one of which happened to be a public holiday and as you know nothing happens quickly in Africa.  JJJ
 
This is where the saying, ‘It’s not what you know, it’s who you know’ came into effect and with all the contacts my parents have built up over this last year in getting my grant approved; just a couple of calls later and a few strings pulled and all seemed to be sorted.  I was given an appointment for Tuesday this week to meet up with someone from SASSA at the payout point in Hammanskraal.  So off we, – my mum and I – went, early in the morning… lugging oxygen cylinder with us.  Another speed bump….the person I was supposed to see wasn’t there and the personnel that were, didn’t know if he would be arriving at all!!!  Contacts again and another phone call, and I was sorted me out pretty darn quick.  Finger prints taken, ID produced, voice recorded on machine, personal details noted and I was ‘A’ for away…as they say.  Oh and now I have the correct card, so I hope this is the last of this chapter and there will be no more twists in the tale that will pop up in the coming months.  HAPPY DANCE and SMILEY FACE…Yah.
 
Needless to say, I am learning in life never to accept what I see, in other words the reality of the situation as it is now, but rather to have faith that there is something better waiting around the corner.  Speed bumps are there to slow us down, make us cautious, look around and see the road ahead.  Sometimes the road turns to the left or to the right…which means I don’t have to always move on ahead accepting what often times is not right for me at that point in time.  I can either stay as I am for the rest of my life or I can change to ‘Mainstay’…sorry that advert just popped into my head as I was typing…No, speed-bumps or not, I will survive, and that’s the way my life is.
 
Fab and Fighting <3

2 comments:

  1. Nix, you are so mature and sensible and positive! I wish I'd had your attitude when I was young. Love your blogs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that my blog had a Like Button :-D hehe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Commenting <3