Read more: http://pctoolstips.blogspot.com/2014/01/add-facebook-activity-feed-widgetplugin.html#ixzz3EnWbc1jd

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Food for thought

It has been 6 months since I was first put onto the medical aid, we have hit the halfway mark. Only 6 more months until the 1 year exclusion period is up and we can start the transplant process.

The more and more the possibility of lung transplantation comes into light, the more I am learning.

Lung transplant is not all sunshine and roses. There are so many aspects of the whole process that has no lights shed upon it.

For example: once I have had a transplant, I should not come into contact with any bird. And if I have cats, I need to be aware that they don't scratch me, and I cannot go near their litter box.

I still need to do more research and ask doctors about other animals. I cannot imagine my life without animals. My whole life I have grown up having pets, and for me to suddenly not have any, will break my heart. Pets can define a person, pets become our children. They always listen to us and comfort us when we are sad.

I am still in the dark about all the other things that go hand in hand with transplant, but I am sure I will start learning closer to transplant time. I know that you have to be on anti rejections all the time, and  steroids.

I recently learnt about something called "photopheresis". So in a nutshell, they treat your blood with UV light to put the T-cells (are a type of lymphocyte (itself a type of white blood cell) that play a central role in cell-mediated immunity) back in their place before the blood returns to your body. It seems like quite a scary thing, and I do hope that I will not need to go through that. But I guess we will see what happens in the future.

Here is a link to some information about this procedure if you would like to take a look.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/photopheresis/hic_photopheresis.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photopheresis



I said to my mom, looking at all of this information, I am unsure of what my future looks like. It is clear that I won't be able to live on the farm anymore, as we breed birds. Birds are a HUGE NO. I will have to put the plan of saving for a car to one side, and start saving for my own place. But how will I ever be able to afford my own place? My grant surely wont cover rent costs, let alone food costs.

The unknown is a really scary place. But I have faith and I do believe that all will fall into place.



So I thought I would get a little bit more serious for a change, I do hope it has not made for boring reading. Haha

Just stay Fabulous xoxo <3








2 comments:

  1. Nix - I've said it before - you're the bravest person I know! And no, it wasn't at all boring. In fact, we all want to know how you cope and what's up for the future, so please tell us anything you want. Your life isn't at all easy, and you're an inspiration to us all. I truly hope you can carry on having animals.... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photopheresis treatment itself isn't so bad, but having lung function drop even a little post transplant is horrible! It's very different to CF lungs and can happen very suddenly. So as long as the photopheresis works I'll do it woth a smile (which so far... it is... touch wood)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Commenting <3