Read more: http://pctoolstips.blogspot.com/2014/01/add-facebook-activity-feed-widgetplugin.html#ixzz3EnWbc1jd

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

"What if"

You  may have seen my post on my facebook group about speaking to my doctor about the "what if" with transplant.


Today the transplant Psychologist came to see me, just to find out how things are going. And how I am doing, and am I coping.

I told her about my thoughts and concerns about having the transplant now. I know that it is something that needs to be done, and I have been working towards it. But what if I can keep myself healthy like I am now, and prolong my life before transplant. Most transplant patients have a span of 5 years before they start rejecting. It is a scary thought, that I may only live 5 more years. It is something that I have to come to terms with.


 The heart is an easy organ to transplant and come by because it is protected. The lungs are not, the lungs are a massive organ and are usually the first to be damaged in an accident. If in a car accident , the lungs can get punctured,or bruised, and if someone has to have CPR the pressure from that will bruise the lungs and create blood bubbles. It's something that I have never thought about. You just don't actually realise how easy it is to damage an organ, and they can't be fixed.


I don't know if any of you have ever read or seen on Greys anatomy about the Heart/lungs in a box. It is becoming a reality where lungs can be taken and "Fixed" but it is a long process for the lungs to recover. And then there is going to be drama about "why did I get second hand repaired lungs, when someone else got new lungs". And then not to mention the costs and who will pay for it all. It is something that is in the pipelines, and as many things in life, it will have to be tried and tested.


                                                                  Lungs in a Box

The psychologist put it to me this way; When I am on the transplant list, there is a general waiting period of 2 years, some people are very lucky to get it before 2 years, but it is very rare because lungs are so hard to come by.

If the doctors are talking transplant list, then there is a good enough reason, they can see that the waiting period is long, and if I am only considered 2 years from now when my "what If"kicks in, the I could have deteriorated to such a state that I cannot wait another year to 2 years, so rather get on that list, and have those extra 2 years on the list, and when my body finally lets me down, if the time  comes that I am blessed with lungs, I can have the operation.

It is alot to take in and think about, but I have an amazing support structure, friends and family and with all their help, I can do this.

So thank you for being so Fabulous everyone

Lots of Love <3 <3 <3



1 comment:

  1. Will support (from afar! All the way in South Africa0you while you travel this road-whichever path you choose.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for Commenting <3